Saturday 25 October 2008

What Next?

Monday, 13th October, Jordan's birthday. What a difference a night makes! I had now lost control of the right side of my face, which had taken to feeling as though I had donned a facial wax. After wishing Jordan a happy 15th I had to contemplate my work situation. I am a Registered Mental Nurse with over 20 years experience, working at the same hospital throughout. I have progressed to be an Opperational Manager overseeing the running of three Adult Forensic Psychiatric wards. Today was an away day to examine the Directorate patient risk and security issues.
I didn't know what to expect of my facial problem, already suspecting Bell's Palsy, underlined by my wife's diagnosis, I hoped we were wrong! I decided to try my favorite technique of 'ignore it and it will go away'. However, my first opportunity to contribute to the meeting was a bumbled cluster of sentances which drained me to convey. With this, the White flag was raised, I phone my GP and booked an appointment for 4pm that afternoon.
The GP surgery was facilitating a teaching placement for a young male student doctor and it was he who put me through my paces to confirm the diagnosis of Bell's Palsy. The only real positive taken from this examination was that my sense of humour remained intact. When young GP in the making asked me to blow out my cheeks the most I could muster was a loud and clear rasberry from the corner of my mouth, unable to seal itself.
With a prescription for 50mg Prednisalone in my hand I strode over to Gore's chemist eager to commence the treatment to rid me of this increasingly troublsome disorder I popped the pills and slipped off to bed hopefull the speedy response would yield an equally quick recovery.

Posted with LifeCast

No comments: